r 25/3 rear absorber spring removal

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Thomas

r 25/3 rear absorber spring removal

Post by Thomas »

Hello and Mary cristmas to all of you.
I just trying to remove the springs from the rear absorbers of my r 25/3 but it seems to be impossible.I put the spring into a vice and i rotate the absorber counterclockwise but nothink.I then heat it but again nothink .Can you help me with any advise?
Christian

Re: r 25/3 rear absorber spring removal

Post by Christian »

Lieber Thomas

Ich stand kürzlich vor dem genaugleichen Problem! Gemäss Werkstatthandbuch gäbe es ein Spezielwerkzeug mit dem man durch das kleine Loch unten in der Abdeckhülse den Federansatz greife und so die Feder vom Aluteil herunterdrehen könnte (Achtung: Linksgewinde). Leider war es mir nicht möglich, ein solches Werkzeug aufzutreiben. Ich habe auch keine Ahnung wie das ausschaut. Schliesslich musste ich die Abdeckhülse mit einer feinen Trennscheibe (Dremel) auftrennen. Nach entfernter Hülse lässt sich dann die Feder im Schraubstock herunterdrehen. Die Hülse ist natürlich nicht mehr zu retten; eine neue kostet aber auch nicht alle Welt.. Einen besseren Rat kann ich Dir leider nicht geben.

Gruss Christian
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi Thomas,

have a look at:

http://www.abl-wassersport.de/cgi-bin/Y ... 40;start=1

There´s an instruction for spring-removal for R25/1 and /2. I´m sure it will work on a /3, too!

Best wishes,

Karl
Michele

Post by Michele »

Helo Thomas
pardon me for writing so late, but I saw only today this site.
Some time ago I had the same problem with the springs. The problem is this, that when you turn the spring it gets smaller and it rests stronger on the aluminium socket. And there is still the iron cap over the spring.
So try to drill a small hole at the bottom of the cup. Usually you can turn the cup around the spring. Put a screwdriver through the whole and turn the cap. When you reach the end of the spring, the screwdriver pushes against it and so the spring opens and it can be removed easily. Usually the cups are quite full with grease and dirt but anyway, it works. Afterwords you can close the little whole or you can let it open and turn the cup in the way thay you can't see the whole when it's mounted.
Hope you can understand my English and hope you didn't brake neither the spring or the cup yet.

Yours Michele