R50 - advance mechanism

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Klaus Schonfeld

R50 - advance mechanism

Post by Klaus Schonfeld »

One of the little knobs which retains one end of a spring broke off - all by itself (YEAH, SURE ... well, maybe not ALL by itself, maybe my ham-handed friend Ed had something to do with it). Anyway, I believe the thing is beyond repair, so could someone undertake to send me a replacement? I don't know what one might cost, so maybe a good used one would be preferable. Thanks.
Allan Atherton

Re: R50 - advance mechanism

Post by Allan Atherton »

A new advance is 250 CHF (175 USD) in the catalog here, or 217 USD if ordered in the US. Used advances in good condition sometimes appear on eBay or the IBMWR Marketplace, and usually cost over 100 USD.
Klaus Schonfeld

Thanks for the info, Allen - those are astounding prices - any chance that the thing can be fixed? Also, do you have the tapere roller bearing numbers handy for the steering head - thanks.
Thorsten Franz

Post by Thorsten Franz »

Hi Klaus,
I wonder if such a sensitive part can be fixed but maybe a good machine shop could do the job. The best shop in town is VW Precision at 99 Don. A. Roces Avenue in Quezon City. They did excellent on reboring the cylinder of my R26 and reconditioning the heads of my R50. They also do glass bead blasting and exhaust thread repair, etc. They aren't cheap though.

Brgds
Thorsten
Klaus Schonfeld

Thanks for the address, Thorsten.
I'll let you and the forum know how the repair turns out.