BMW color black paint mixture

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Jon

BMW color black paint mixture

Post by Jon »

Does anyone amongst the BBS reader know the right color mixture to attain the shade of faithfully correct black on BMW vintage bike?
Please share your expertise on the mixture...thanks

Jon
David

Re: BMW color black paint mixture

Post by David »

hello
use martin-seynour #8000 "brilliant black." it is the identical to the dealer-supplied "bmw black."
mfg, david.
Jon

Thanks David

Post by Jon »

Thanks..anyway..i hope we have that brand of paint here..
Dave Thomas

Re: Thanks David

Post by Dave Thomas »

Jon, I used DuPont Imron, color number 99U Black, on my R26 and I'm very satisfied with the color.
Imron is a catalyzed polyurethane enamel that produces a very high gloss, almost a wet look (Roland Slabon
thinks it's too glossy), and it's very durable. It is quite expensive, but all quality automotive paints are.
I also use quite a bit of PPG acrylic enamel in my shop, and their number 9000 Black appears to be very close
to BMW's Black. That is also a catalyzed paint and it's a little easier to work with than Imron.

Good luck with it!
Dave
Jon

Post by Jon »

Dave
The previous paintjob was done in Anzhahl..another catalyst paint..i think its lacquer..is it?.till the previous owners let go of the bike...it was black when indoors but proper lighting reveals a certain bluish deeper shade..i dunno if this was intented nor if this was an original color type. perhaps the painter copied a picture of a BMW parked outdoors with a blue sky reflection.
Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

I'm not familiar with Anzahl, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a catalyzed lacquer.
All the catalyzed paints I've ever worked with are synthetic enamels, sometimes called polyurethane enamels.
It's really amazing how many shades of black there are (or white for that matter), but they generally range from
"cool" bluish-blacks to "warm" reddish-blacks, and then there are degrees of "blackness" ranging from charcoal-gray
to soo deep you can't believe it. The BMW black seems to me to be a fairly neutral black, that is in the middle of
the warm-cool range and the middle of the blackness range. I think that's why it's fairly easy to match in other
brands of paint. Anyway, I'm rambling. You might talk to professional paint suppliers and painters in tour area.
Good luck with it!
jon

correction

Post by jon »

Anzahl is distributed by the German Bayer group...and the paint type is the usual poly URETHANE...thanks