1951 R25/2

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Bob Harper

1951 R25/2

Post by Bob Harper »

I have just purchased a 1951 R25/2 serial #247362 to restore and ride. The price was right but I do now have to fix a number of peculiar items to this bike.
1) It would appear a head and possibly a cylinder has been used from a twin cylinder BMW as the carb(stock) is pointing forward and the exhaust is to the rear. Cylinder fins look like they were cast with flat section at front(ie not all round) and the head is decidedly squared off at the front - exhaust mount is triangular, carb mount is cast. Any Idea what I have - and better still, does anyone have a spare head/ cylinder ?

2) The front engine chain case cover does not seem to be stock - there are no motor mounts on it, it is circular with a number of equally spaced raised bumbs around the casting Generator is made by Norris A12/130?3R - Front mount has been poorly fabricated out of steel - will a r26 front chain case cover work on an r25/2 motor - (current generator diameter seems to be bigger than a R26)? Anyone have any Idea what I have now?

3) The actual engine casing hase no apparent serial #'s on it, as well, where there is normally a dipstick hole and a hole to remove the oil pump drive, there is only the oil pump hole cut - the Left hand hole for dipstick has never been bored - any thoughts?

4) I also need a front wheel (complete would be nice with steel painted rim) but a hub (1/2 width) would do ,

Thanks for any assistence on the above.
rolf

Re: 1951 R25/2

Post by rolf »

Hallo,
1-2:I think you are a proud owner of a 25/2 with Isetta engine(250ccm or 300ccm?)
it is mounted by rubber like the R27
3:the"lost " hole is for the dipstick, because the Isetta dipstick is mounted in the oil-tank(?)(this thing underneath the engine,made of sheet metal)
rolf