speed up r50

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
frank gowin

speed up r50

Post by frank gowin »

I have just bought a r50 in perfect org condition and plan to use it as a daily driver my question is can any simple mod be done to get a little more power ,other than flywheel lightening? thanks frank
Mark Huggett

Re: speed up r50

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Frank,

Reducing the flywheel does not increase the motors power. It improve throttle response, increase motors acceleration and deceleration and therefore also smoother gear changes. If you want more power, we would suggest that you mount one of our "hotter" cam shafts and R50S high compression pistons in conjunction with a barrel shaped main bearing on the rear of the crankshaft.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Gerry Douglas-Sherwood

Re: speed up r50

Post by Gerry Douglas-Sherwood »

If you want more power, simply buy a R60 instead.

Modifying the engine will cause more problems than it solves. The R50 is not a slow bike. Mine will cruise between 60-70 mph all day; I have even seen 100 mph indicated on the speedo. The engine loves to rev, so keep the engine on the boil between gears. In fact you will be doing the engine a favour by letting it spin by helping to maintain a good oil flow . Never slog along in a low gear.

The 500cc engine is the smoothest BMW produced. Any modification would upset the balance, so sit back and enjoy the sweetness of your R50.