Wanted: R 26

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Bob Williams

Wanted: R 26

Post by Bob Williams »

I am looking for an R 26 "Jubilee" or "Swiss Blue" edition. This is an R 26 with blue/grey paint, white pinstripes and a chrome tank. They were imported into Switzerland by the dealer Drenowatz in Zurich from 1955-1960. I previously owned one imported to the US by Butler & Smith and sold through Ghost Motorcycles in New York. Ulis Motorradladen in Frankfurt sold one about 18 monts ago. Any assistance in locating one would be most appreciated.
Allan Atherton

Re: Wanted: R 26

Post by Allan Atherton »

If you have not already found them, there are 6 old messages on this subject in the forum archives. Enter the words swiss blue in the search box.
Bob Willams

Post by Bob Willams »

Thanks Allan! I'm aware of the other posts since I worte some to them. I passed on the bike available from Ulis when it was available, but now wish I hadn't. I'm still looking, so if anyone comes across another I hope they'll let me know.
Jean-Daniel Chambaz

Post by Jean-Daniel Chambaz »

Hi,
For information, I've got 2 parts of one of these rare R 26 "Swiss Special Edition" you are talking about.
One is the main tube of the front fork (Earles), the 2d is a tank tool cover, with all the stripping job in a good shape. More interesting is that one could determine the real colour used (Swissair Blue) with this sample. I must look in a RAL table to find which code it has. It is a metallic grey blue, very similar to the Royal Air Force Grey Blue, except for the metallic touch. Let me know if further information is wanted. I enclose a (bad) pics of the tool cover.
Regards.
Jean-Daniel