R 67/3 hub splines

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Bernie Digman

R 67/3 hub splines

Post by Bernie Digman »

I have a '54 R/67/3 with a Steib TR500 purchased in '73 in Germany.
The splines on the hubs are getting too thin and I need to replace the hubs or repair the splines. Any advice or suggestions will be very much appreciated. The machine shops I have asked are afraid to try to do the work. Thanks. Bernie
Gerry Douglas-Sherwood

Re: R 67/3 hub splines

Post by Gerry Douglas-Sherwood »

This is a common problem Bernie. BMW evidently recognised the problem when they introduced larger diameter spline bosses for the post-1955 models.

There is really very little you can do with your old hub apart from retrieve the rim and wait until you find a replacement hub in good repair.

I do believe Chang Jiang bikes have identical splines. If you wouldn't mind fitting non-BMW parts to keep the bike on the road, then contact John Lawes at:

BEMW,
2 Forman Street
Derby
England
DE1 1JQ

Tel/ fax: 01332 298 523

John is the main importer of CJs into the UK and has spent a lifetime working on old BMWs. Be prepared for a long chat!
Stephen Ascherl

Post by Stephen Ascherl »

Hello this problem is solved not by trying to remachine the worn splines, but by replacing the entire spline/ bearing mount/ brake hub assembly, or in the case of the final drive, the spline sleeve these parts are available in Germany that rear R67/3 wheel hub is pretty rare I believe and so it's worth the effort?
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

The answer is no. They are not the identical splines and they will not fit.

We sell a repair part which is basically the center hub with splines etc. which has to be riveted back on to the brake drum. Part number is 36 31 2 030 026.7