Clutch Push Rod Lube

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Gary Croisatiere

Clutch Push Rod Lube

Post by Gary Croisatiere »

Should the tip of the clutch pushrod, where it hits on the pressure plate be greased?
Allan Atherton

Re: Clutch Push Rod Lube

Post by Allan Atherton »

I will take a guess and say no. The pushrod has a bearing on the opposite (rear) end, so it is designed to turn and take the bearing forces at that end.
The front end has a needle-like cone designed to fit against the clutch and be turned by it. So lubing the front end of the needle would not last long, be of no use, and might throw grease onto the clutch
Gerry Douglas-Sherwood

Re: Clutch Push Rod Lube

Post by Gerry Douglas-Sherwood »

Hi Gary,

I reckon that any metal-to-metal rotating contact requires a modicum of lubrication, so for my own peace of mind I always put a smear of stiff grease on the end of the pushrod. The tiny surplus that might centrifuge out won't reach the clutch plate as that is raised above the level of the flywheel centre. However...

...keep an eye on your pushrod adjustment. I have known pushrods to wear completely through the pressure plate and poke out the other side! Before that stage all adjustment will be lost when the clutch release bearing buts up against the rear mainshaft bearing, when clutch drag will be made apparent. Repairs can be effected, but that's another story.

Gerry