Pinstriping tool

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
jon

Pinstriping tool

Post by jon »

Has anyone tried out the pinstriping tool by Beugler with successful results? they have magnetic guides,roller sizes...

Jon
Dave Thomas

Re: Pinstriping tool

Post by Dave Thomas »

Hi Jon,

Yes, I've used a Buegler tool for years in my commercial art/sign production company.
It's a very well made tool, has a number of different-sized striping heads and edge guides.
For a beginner it is not a lot easier to use than a striping brush; you still need to have
a steady hand and a sense of "gesture" when you move the tool, but at least it produces an
even-width line, which can be difficult with a sword brush when you're just starting out.
I don't think the magnetic guides would be useful for tight curves like a BMW tank; the curves
are just too tight for the magnetic strips to conform. But the edge guides that actually fit into
the tool should work very well where you have a nice clean edge to run against, like on the fenders.

If you try one, just keep the paint thick enough; if it's too thin it tends to run out around the wheel.
And move the tool slowly but deliberately, plan your motion in advance, and don't let it move backward.
You only need the "pump" at first, to push the paint up to the wheel, after that it draws itself out
naturally, as long as the wheel end is facing down.

One more thing: the double-wheel heads can be nmore difficult to work with. I have better luck pulling a
double-line stripe one line at a time.

Regards,

Dave
jon

Post by jon »

Dave
So i guess you have tried working on a bike using it,too?..
i am an illustrator of perspectives... but with a pair of heavy hands....what if i stop on those nasty curves with the beugler and do that sword brush freehand on them...i am tempted to airbrush...but the tale of the tape such as possibilty of leaving uneven levels is an ugly thought..so pesky...spray white...cover them...black paint later..take off tape and black has crept in..grrr.anyway..thanks for the input..

jon
Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

No I haven't used the Buegler on a bike, but I have on some classic
and sports cars. Cars tend to be easier because there is usually a
line or crease in the body that you want to follow, and they normally
don't have the tight kind of freehand curves that a motorcycle tank would
have.

If you're an illustrator I'm sure you could handle a Buegler. I've wondered
about making a template out of matboard to fix to the tank for the Buegler
to follow. You would have to calculate how mush larger to make the template
to allow for the space between the guide and the striping wheel.

But the Buegler will follow the curves on the fenders just fine. It's the tank
that's the problem.

BMW Motorrad in St. Louis (USA) masks their stripes using the pre-cut
double-line tape, and then brushes the line in. You can avoid a heavy edge
that way. They then clear-coat the entire part, which makes for a nice smooth
finish. The curves in the striping tend to be a little notchy, though.