"re-conditioned" r25/3 head

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Ben Friedl

"re-conditioned" r25/3 head

Post by Ben Friedl »

Hello Mark,
and greetings to the others

I had the head of my r25/3 "re-conditioned". On closer inspection I can see a hair-line fracture between the new valve seats and the spark plug hole. Can I still use the head?, and should I be concerned about the valve seats falling out when the engine gets hot?

Many thanks
Ben
Greece
Mark Huggett

Re:

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Ben

Can you send a digital photo of the crack? Cracks in exactly that location are common in air cooled heads, also VW and Porsche. Usually they look far worse then they actually are and people tend to panic when they see them. They are usually no more than 2 to 3mm deep and generally don't matter in 99% of all cases. Question is if your cylinderhead belongs to the 99% or the 1%? Without seeing it, I can't say. My gut feel says, don't worry about it.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Ben Friedl

Re:

Post by Ben Friedl »

Mark,

Thanks for that re-assuring news. I'll try to take a shot and scan it to you, If I get a digital camera in my Xmas stocking life would be much easier
On the subject of heads, I was looking for replacement bushes for the rockers in your catalouge. Do you have them, and if so what's the part number.

Thanks
Ben