180 watt, 12 volt, 3 phase generator

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

180 watt, 12 volt, 3 phase generator

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Mark,

In the BMW Auxiliary catalogue for R26-69S, there is a 3 phase generator (alternator) shown in the catalogue which looks a lot like the one that was originally put on /5's. This alternator has 3 securing points (120 degrees appart) to install on timing gear cover. The original generator (6 volt, 60 watts) for my R69S andall /2's for that matter had only 2 and were spaced 180 degrees apart. Was there a special adapter ring offered to fit the 3 hole alternator in the place of the generator? I know there is an aftermarket adapter ring available, but what was the process with this alternator being offered in the catalogue? Also there is a wiring harness depicted....is this available or is it typically the one that came with the later /5? In the catalogue, there is mention that this alternator will fit on the R69S.....please clarify as I am confused! The reason I am asking all this is because I found a perfect /7 , 280 watt alternator and am about to do the conversion from 6 to 12 volt and need to review my options....any comments would be appreciated.

Pierre
Mark Huggett

Re: 180 watt, 12 volt, 3 phase generator

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Pierre

No, there was no adapter ring. BMW had a different Gear case cover with a different fitting for the 3 phase alternator. The new cover has the part number 11 14 0 002 035 were as the old conventional gear case cover for the 6 and 12 volt generator had the part number 11 14 0 002 030. These are only available as second hand unless some one is sitting on NOS. We don't have any.

We produce the 6 and 12 volt wiring harness for the generator models for BMW Mobile Tradition. We have not planned to produce the alternator version.

Best regards
Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Pierre Michaud

Re: 180 watt, 12 volt, 3 phase generator

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Thank you very much Mark, I'm sure this valuable bit of information will be useful to all of us that are going to the 12 volt route.

Merci beaucoup,

Pierre